The Amboseli National Park in Kenya is widely known and visited because it is next to Africa’s highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro.
The term “Amboseli” is derived from a Maasai term that signifies “dust with a salty taste,” and it is among the most ideal locations in Africa to observe immense gatherings of elephants from a close distance.
Those who appreciate nature can discover five diverse environments in this area, encompassing the desiccated basin of Lake Amboseli, marshes containing sulfur springs, grassy plains, and forests.
Visitors also have the opportunity to interact with the indigenous Maasai community residing near the park and immerse themselves in their traditional way of life.
Beautiful and fascinating flora and fauna
How to get there
- By Car: The primary route to access the park is through Nairobi using the Nairobi – Arusha Road, traveling 240 km via Namanga, and entering through Meshanani Gate.
- The alternative route can be taken from Nairobi through Emali, which is located 228 kilometers away on the Nairobi – Mombasa Road. To reach Mombasa, the main access is through Tsavo West National Park, entering via the Kimana (Olkelunyiet) Gate.
- By Air: At the entrance known as Empusel gate, there is one airstrip specifically intended for small aircraft. Additionally, there are additional airstrips located at Kilimanjaro Buffalo Lodge and in the town of Namanga.
- Extensive Groups of Elephants
- The magnificent Mount Kilimanjaro
- The Fantastic Big Five
- Observation Hill provides a panoramic perspective of the entire park, particularly the marshlands and herds of elephants.
- The wetland beneath the watchful eye of Observation Hill is home to numerous elephants, buffaloes, hippos, and various water birds, such as pelicans and Egyptian geese.
- It also offers insight into the present-day Maasai culture and the way of life of the local indigenous people.
KWS Self Catering
Park Entry Fee
|Amboseli National Park
* Kindly refer to the KWS Conservation Fees document below for other services and charges
* Modes of Payment; MPESA, VISA Card, Direct Deposits to KWS Bank Accounts at any gate
- Game viewing
- Bird watching